Saturday, February 5, 2011

Intentionality

My personality has always been more of the laid back type. I like it that way, just being chill and going with the flow. However, I have learned that I have a really hard time being intentional about anything. I get a good idea or something that needs to be done and I tend to just let the thought hang around up there in the recesses of my mind until it slips away and I move on to the next thing. I know this is going to sound repetitive (and redundant) but I am determined to become more intentional about being intentional.
For example: tonight my friend Katie asked if I wanted to come over and watch a movie. Well I couldn't because I have to stay here and put Conner to bed. Usually I would just say oh well it didn't work and move on, but instead I asked if she would like to come to my place to watch it. It sounds really silly and like duh that makes sense, but for me it took real intentionality to take the initiative. And the reward for me being intentional was that I got to spend time laughing and having fun with another human being instead of sitting here alone doing who knows what (probably reading or sleeping).
Another example: earlier this week the Spirit place a boy on my heart who was having some health problems and scheduled for surgery. God spelled it out for me right in the pages of a book that I was reading... the body heals the body. Meaning the Church body heals other parts of the Church body through the gifts the Spirit has given to those who believe. So I got some friends together that I knew had the gift of healing and we prayed for this little boy. That took initiative that a year ago I probably would not have taken.
I have a few more things that I need to be proactive about (going to the doctor doctor and the eye doctor) so I'm writing them here so that I make sure and follow through. I'm hoping that one day intentionality will become less of a cognitive process and more of a just doing what I need to do process, but until then I am pressing on to make things happen!

1 comment: